Chicken with Mixed Rice and Nut Stuffing
recipe has been contributed by Becky who like
me loves cooking good food, especially for the
family. You can find more of Becky's recipes,
as well as finding out more about her, at her website.
1 whole roasting
chicken, about 4 pounds
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons dried herb of choice (rosemary,
thyme, sage etc.)
3/4 cup wild rice
3/4 cup long-grain white rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth and/or water, divided
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup white wine
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds
1/2 pound bacon, diced
- Soak top and bottom of medium clay cooker in water for
at least 15 minutes.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Spread skin with oil; sprinkle
with salt, pepper and herb of choice.
- Make stuffing and fill neck and body cavities loosely.
Wrap any remaining stuffing in aluminum foil
and bake separately.
- Fold skin flap over and secure with poultry skewers.
- Place chicken, breast side up, in cooker. Cover and
place in a cold oven.
- Set temperature to 475ºF degrees and bake for 1 1/4
hours. Juices should run clear.
- Cook wild rice
and white rice separately in 1 1/4 cups stock
or water until grains are just tender and
- In a skillet,
fry bacon until browned.
- Remove bacon
from skillet and sauté onion and celery
in bacon fat until wilted.
- Using fork,
gently stir vegetable mixture and remaining
ingredients into cooked rice.